June 25, 2008

Shawn Chacon: Neanderthal

The AP is reporting that ineffective Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon will be suspended indefinitely for physically assualting Houston GM Ed Wade. Chacon says:

“I sat down to eat and Ed Wade came to me and very sternly said, ‘You need to come with me to the office,”’ Chacon said. “I said ‘for what?’ I said ‘I don’t want to go to the office with you and Cooper.’ And I said, ‘You can tell me whatever you got to tell me right here.’ He’s like, ‘Oh, you want me to tell you right here?’ And I said, ‘yeah.’ I’m not yelling. I’m calm.”

“He started yelling and cussing,” Chacon said of Wade, according to a story on the Chronicle’s Web site. “I’m sitting there and I said to him very calmly, ‘Ed, you need to stop yelling at me. Then I stood up and said, ‘You better stop yelling at me.’ I stood up. He continued and was basically yelling.”

Chacon said that after Wade told him he needed to “look in the mirror,” it got worse.

“So at that point I lost my cool and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him,” he said. “Words were exchanged.” 


Way to go, Shawn! Nice example you're setting for all the kids out there. When an older gentleman who happens to sign your checks acts like a jerk, the best way to deal with it is assault him. Forget the fact that you're supposedly an "adult," a "role model (by default)," or a multi-millionaire who should be thanking his lucky stars that he's still in the league. Just go with your baser instincts and grab the guy by the throat. While you're at it, why not kick the chef in the nuts if your stake was overcooked?

Look, no one is condoning the actions of Wade: he is obviously a classless fool for allegedly acting the way he did. However, there are more mature ways of dealing with the situatuon. First of all, you don't say "no" to your boss when he wants to talk to you in private--he/she might be doing you a favor by saving you the awkwardness. Secondly, when he allegedly started spewing obscenities, be the bigger person: sit calmly and smile at how childish he is, and let him dig his own grave. Let him look like a baby in front of his peers--that is so much more effective than jumping up like a thug and attacking him physically--because that's all the witnesses will remember in the long run. Imagine how great you would have looked.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are certain insults that might make someone boil over--we've all experienced things like that--but according to you, it sounds like he was just "yelling." In addition, we don't know the backstory here: What if it comes to light that you had been insulting him and questioning his judgement as a GM for months in the clubhouse? What if he became aware that you were "dogging it" and doing your teammates a disservice? Heck, if that were true, I would probably throw a few four-letter words your way, too.

And by the way, did it ever occur to you that he might be overdoing it to provoke you? Perhaps your sub-par performance this year caused the GM to want you off the team, but he couldn't find a timely excuse? Based on your reaction, it sounds to me like you might not have seen that far ahead. D'oh!

Again, I'm by no means cheering Wade's alleged actions here, but come on, Shawn. Grow up. If you do, you might be remembered for your pitching, and not this silly, avoidable incident.